Saturday, April 2, 2016

What's not to like?

The below post is from many years ago on my old guitar blog but still valid today.

Enjoy

 The BUM syndrome


100_1484 Guitarists are a strange lot. We are quirky,superstitious, and neurotic at best. These traits lead us to exhibit some pretty strange behavior. One of these behaviors is the BUM syndrome. No, not being an out of work bum like your dad said you would be playing guitar but BUM as in Blind Urge to Mod.

Why is it that no instrument is good enough? I have seen countless posts out there stating things like “ Got a new super duper wanko master 3000, What do I need to change to make this thing killer”. How about,” just picked up a drive-o-matic 6000 pedal for $300 on flea bay, talk to me about chip swapping

1014-01 I have several guitars, a few amps, and a good selection of pedals. I too have been guilty of this condition but only to the extent that the mods help the instrument do something it didn’t previously do well. Sure I have a hacked frankenstrat but for the most part, all the rest of my guitars are stock. Maybe a pickup swap here or there but not all of them and only after the instrument was run through it’s paces as purchased.

I can get behind a few mods right out of the gate but these are practical mod’s 12-03_1463rather than a mod just to mod. Strap locks are a must. A $20 investment can save you a hefty neck repair. Better tuning keys, sure. If they improve the tuning stability then go for it. After that I just try to live with the gear a while to see what it will do. Remember, all mods make it different, but different isn’t always better.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment